CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, September 29, 2008

Thursday, September 11th

I began the day in surgery. Saw a hydrocele repair and a vesicovaginal fistula repair. Interesting but nothing too dramatic or exciting. I left for a short while to go watch Esther make futu. Esther is Diane's house girl. All of the missionaries have house help. They do a lot of the cooking/cleaning/laundry and other odd jobs which helps free up the missionaries to have time to invest in the ministry. So Esther was making us futu for lunch. They start with yams and plantains and mash them up in this ginormous mortar and pestle. Then they pour a little sauce over it (classic African style) and voila, we have a meal. Here's a video of Esther pounding the futu. Sorry it is sideways. I didn't realize that I couldn't flip it.


A picture of the finished product.

I spent the afternoon with Diane. We saw a few patients in clinic and then walked around putting out "fires." Lots of sick little kids coming in with malaria and anemia. They come in with blood counts so low that we would immediately transfuse them and put them in the hospital overnight if they were in the States, but blood is such a precious commodity, they have to have a hemoglobin below 6 to get blood and even then, they are only transfused if there is blood available.

We spent the afternoon at the market getting cloth and food. My senses were absolutely overwhelmed. I don't think I could have seen, smelled or heard one more thing without going absolutely crazy. Those were some of the first distinct (and disgusting) smells I have noticed since I got here. I was also once again overwhelmed by the realization that there is a HUGE gap between surviving in a culture for two weeks and being able to function in that culture. Huge. Diane said you just learn little by little.

I feel like this is a poor, abbreviated summary of my day, but it is 8:15 and I am already lying in bed exhausted! I felt different about the reality of coming out here today. I felt more fear within me. I think maybe I was just really overwhelmed by the market. That sounds kind of lame, but seriously, I was absolutely overwhelmed. I can't think of any other word to describe it. Just goes to show that it can't be a decision based on emotion because those emotions won't last. It must be a conviction that the Lord is calling you to a certain ministry.

Uffda. I am so tired.

1 comments:

Laura said...

1. I would've smashed my hand, were I the house girl.

2. Can people donate blood to africa? Better yet, can people in Africa donate blood to themselves? (there was a blood drive at lcc today, that's why I'm thinking of it. I'm ashamed to say I didn't have time or take the time to donate this time, normally I would try to)

3. To clear up: I do indeed follow blogs, but anonymously. I would like it if the people I was following knew I was following their blog, but I don't really care to have the entire list of who I follow displayed on my profile page (what happens when you follow publicly).

4. Publicly looks like it is spelled wrong, but I am too tired to figure out:
a) if it really is
b) how to fix it

5. I follow this blog, and your other one too