CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, September 01, 2008

Au revoir!

I fly out of Rochester tomorrow (Tuesday) at 12:15pm! I have layovers in Chicago and Brussels and then a quick stop in Monrovia (but no plane change there) before I arrive in Abidjan at 7:25pm local time on the 3rd (equivalent to 1:25pm central time...Cote d'Ivoire is 6 hours ahead of us.). I will spend the night at WorldVenture's guest house in Abidjan before making the 8-hour trip up-country on Thursday.


This is not the first time I have done something "like" this, yet it feels so unlike any of the trips I have taken.

Maybe it is because I am traveling alone.

Maybe it is because I speak even less French than I do Spanish.

Maybe it is because I am no longer a student and I feel more capable of thinking through complex healthcare issues.

Maybe it is because I feel like I am standing on the edge of the rest of my life.


Regardless of the reason, I am nearly giddy with excitement that the day has (almost) arrived. I spoke with a friend tonight who likened it to that moment at the top of a roller coaster...that terrifying thrill of excitement and joy as you realize that there's no bailing ship. There is a mix of emotions as I peek over the edge, staring down at the big hill with wide eyes wondering how the heck I got up here, but at the end of the day, there is no other ride in the world I would rather be on.

You won't from me until Thursday night, at least. It sounds like I should have some internet access while I am over there, but I am not sure what it will be like or how much time I will have. I will try to keep you updated!!

In the meantime, I covet your prayers.

Love you all,
Eva Joy : )

2 comments:

Laura said...

We'll be praying...you're probably where you are supposed to be right now, if I am thinking correctly (It's thursday evening in Lithuania...2 hours ahead of you?).
Hope all your travels went smoothly, and that your time their is rich.
Looking forward to reading updates!
Laura

Laura said...

Gross. I meant 'there' not 'their.'

Not out of the country one month and already my english is failing me.