Hello from Bolivia! We got to our guest house at about 11:00 this morning and have spent the day relaxing and touring the hospital before we get ready to start working tomorrow morning.
The travels here started off pretty interesting, but for the most part went by without too many problems. On the airline website, they suggest that international travelers arrive at the airport two hours early. What they fail to suggest is that you also leave your home an EXTRA two hours early just in case a semi hits a bridge and the freeway is closed down, which is exactly what happened Saturday morning. It took Ang and I four hours and nearly a full tank of gas to get from LP to the airport, arriving a little under an hour before my flight left. Thankfully, once we got there, it took a total of nine minutes from when I stepped in the door to when I got to my gate, so it ended up being not very stressful afterall.
I got on the plane, and as I was standing in front of the cockpit, I heard the co-pilot ask the pilot, "so have you ever done a real-life missed approach or a real-life blowout before?" the pilot replied, "nah, we don't have enough room to do stuff like that here." I got a good chuckle out of this. It's a good thing I'm not superstitious!
I got to Miami and met up with my team with no problem. They are all very kind and everything is very well organized. Our housing is very livable and the hospital will be a good place to work. Ladies from the local Mennonite Church are cooking for us and lunch today was awesome. I had forgotten how much I love the soups and juices in South America.
It is warm and humid, not sure exactly what the temp is. Sorry, I'm not a great Minnesotan. Don't care umch about the numbers as far as weather goes.
Well, I'm going to keep this short for now. There's still a lot of things to see before the day is over. Just wanted to let you all know that I am here and safe. Francis the Bolivian said we will probably be able to go to the computer lab at the University and use the internet for free in the evenings, but he will not know for sure until tomorrow. If we can, you will hear again from me, otherwise, this place is kind of inconvenient to get to, so I may not come back.
I hope you are all doing well and I will keep you updated on stuff if I can.
I love you all!
Eva Joy :)
Friday, January 28, 2005
Posted by Eva Joy at 10:57 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
Post a Comment