CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, October 09, 2008

African Haiku

A friend of mine helped me fall in love with writing haikus. So I figured the best way to sum up the trip would be to write two haikus for each day. Not only did it create a nice little summary of my trip, it also helped kill some time on the outrageously long trip home. Here goes:



The body of Christ
in the Brussels airport.
What a nice comfort.

Cleanwater.org
and Advent Conspiracy
digging wells for God.

Arrival, at last.
A cockroach ran over my
foot at the airport.
.
Drove to the guesthouse
Oh man. This is it. I'm here.
I'm in Africa.
.
Drove to Torogo.
So much to see, smell and hear
as we bounce along.
.
Children in the street.
Women and trucks piled high.
Heard Robin's story.
.
People are friendly.
I hate language barriers
and bugs in my food.
.
Went to a village.
Played with the kids all evening.
They put me at ease.
.
Spent the morning on
pharmacy inventory.
Went to a fune'ral.
.
Dancing, fetishes,
balafones, masks, rice with sauce
and juice in a bag.
.
Church in the village,
learning how to dance to the
African rhythm.
.
And the little girl!
The precious girl in my lap.
Favorite. Memory.
.
Learned how to draw blood
and I got my hair braided.
Ferke tomorrow.
.
God, please continue
to speak to me. I long to
be obedient.
.
Cockroach on my bed.
Ready to go to Ferke!!
Rode with Adama.
.
Saw a deliv'ry
Diane and Sarah are great!!!
I will enjoy them.
.
Hospital tour.
Saw needs that I could fill and
I could teach Bible.
.
Feeling good about
coming back. Making plans but
holding them loosely.
.
Stood in surgery.
I watched Esther pound futu
which we ate for lunch.
.
First experience
in the African market.
I was overwhelmed.
.
Watched dressing changes.
Helped Diane discharge patients.
Observed in clinic.
.
Then went visiting.
Basson asked three times for me
to not forget them.
.
Went to a wedding
where they treated me like an
honored guest. Crazy!
.
Went to Yana's for
dinner. We had chicken
and sweet potato fries.
.
A French church service
and games in the afternoon.
Then off to a dance.
.
They were done dancing.
Diane asked them if the would
dance for the white girl. : )
.
Rounded on patients in
the surgical ward
and helped change dressings.
.
Diane and Sarah
have malaria. That's just
reality here.
.
Debriefed on the trip
back down to Abidjan. Good
to talk to Diane.
.
City traffic was
CRAZY. It was dirtier
than I remembered.
.
Went to the market
and ate some bushrat for lunch.
One last adventure!
.
Back to the airport!
I felt a little nervous
but it went smoothly.
.
Sleeping on airplanes
is harder than it looks and
it looks really hard.
.
Talked to my family
while sitting in Chicago.
I love them so much.

5 comments:

Laura said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Laura said...

Love it. Especi-
-ally the day that starts with
"hospital tour"

Emily Grace said...

is tour 2 syllables?

Eva Joy said...

Yes. "Too-er."

Just FYI: I came to this conclusion by way of the "hand-clapping" technique, not the "look it up in a dictionary" technique.

Laura said...

(I think it's technically one. I used to argue that "oil" was two with the clapping method, and all my teachers told me it was one)