Hello to my dear friends and family,
As some of you know (and many of you probably don’t), my sisters and I will be spending next week in San Pedro Sula, Honduras, doing some medical work with a missions team. We have been very excited about this trip for quite some time now, but as I have started to talk about it more in the last few weeks it has become apparent that not many people know that we are going. So I thought I would send an email to fill you in on a few of the details and share a few prayer requests.
We will be leaving this Sat, Nov 10th, and will be in Honduras until the 17th. We are traveling with a medical team gathered from all over the U.S. who will provide surgical, medical, and dental services to the locals. We are working with an organization called Medical Ministry International (this is the same organization that I went to Bolivia with in ’05) and our hope is that as patients come for medical services, they will be connected with the long-term MMI staff in San Pedro Sula. We will also be working with interpreters and local church leaders who will be sharing the good news of the Gospel with the patients as they wait for their appointments, visit family members, or wait for the prescriptions in the pharmacy.
I am so excited for the opportunity to serve in Honduras and to be a part of caring for the physical and spiritual needs there. What makes this trip even more thrilling for me is the opportunity to serve with my sisters! We have never done anything like this together and we are SO excited not only to spend the week with each other but also to watch each other use our skills in this capacity. Angela will be using her knowledge as an M.D. to either see patients in makeshift clinic settings in the villages surrounding San Pedro Sula or to assist in the OR. My nursing skills will most likely be used with the surgical team (pre-op and post-op pt care), and Hannah is going as a general helper. She will probably be the busiest of all three of us! She will be doing everything from crowd control and lunch prep to counting pills in the pharmacy and any other odd job that is asked of her. I am quite certain she will also be the comic relief for the week! I don’t know if our team knows what they have gotten themselves into, letting all three of us on this trip together. They had better be ready to laugh until it hurts!
A few prayer requests as we go:
-that God would be preparing hearts to receive the Gospel
-that our time and service would bring both physical and spiritual healing to the patients we serve-from Hannah: that she would be aware of things that need to be done around her so that the medical people don’t have to worry about it
-for our relationships as sisters to deepen and grow through this experience
-for the health and safety of our team as we travel
-for sensitivity to what God is teaching us during this timeThank you so much for keeping us in your prayers as we serve.
I do not know if we will have access to an internet café or not. If so, I might try to shoot home an email, otherwise we will send out an update after we get home. Also, for those of you who have not gotten my new contact information since I moved to Rochester, it is listed below.
I love you all!
Eva Joy : )
Saturday, December 01, 2007
Going to Honduras
Posted by Eva Joy at 4:59 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment